View Archived News...

2016 News Archive        

2015 News Archive        

2014 News Archive        

2013 News Archive        

2012 News Archive        

2011 News Archive        

2010 News Archive        

2009 News Archive        

2008 News Archive        

2007 News Archive        

2006 News Archive        

2005 News Archive        

2004 News Archive        

2003 News Archive        

2002 News Archive        

Cheetahs fastest as Exiles slow down

Kent Exiles 14-23 Watford Cheethas

Available media:
View Photo Gallery View Press Cuttings 


After wrapping up the Division 2 East title last weekend, the Exiles gave a lacklustre perfomance against an improved Watford Cheethas team, and lost their undefeated season with a 23-14 loss.

The Cheetahs started the game fast, and kept the pressure on the Exiles all day. The first quarter saw Martin Brown find Frank Mayo with an 8 yard touchdown pass, but the point after was missed. Then following an interception of Exiles quarterback Zac Ritchie, Kenny Gale ran in a one yard touchdown. Kerry Gray blocked the point after but Stefan Rivera recovered the loose ball and ran it in for two points, after that it was never going to be the Exiles day!

The rest of the half followed the same pattern, Neil Prothero wreaked havoc in the Exiles backfield, sacking Ritchie several times, one of which set up Brown with his second touchdown pass, this time to Paul Symonds from 33 yards out, and a 20-0 lead.

The Exiles finally found some form right at the end of the half, Wesley Eversley finding some running room to set up Audley Swain with a 12 yard run for the score, and the Exiles went in 20-6 down at the half.

The third quarter saw defences dominate, and neither team moving the ball much, until the Exiles put together a nice drive, Eversley again running well accounting for over 50 yards on his way to the Cheetahs 3 yard line, but the Cheetahs defence held firm and the Exiles lost a chance to get back into the game.

The fourth quarter saw Rivera kick a 20 yard field goal to extend the Cheetahs lead, before lightening forced a delay in the game as both teams had to leave the pitch.

Coming back out with seven minutes remaining, the Exiles tried to mount another comeback win, Ritchie finding Jon Miller with a touchdown from 7 yards out, and then Swain with the 2 point conversion, but it was too little too late, and the Cheetahs held on to win comfortably 23-14.

Following the game Exiles Head Coach Tony Bainbridge was dissapointed, "we had a chance today to become the third ranked team in the division, but we never got started, and showed a lack of experience that hurt us. But we now have three weeks to train hard and show what this team is really made of in the play-offs. Part two of our season starts right here, right now".

Full details of the Exiles play-off match against the South Wales Warriors on the 28th August can be found at


©2004-2019 Kent Exiles American Football Club.