View Archived News...

2016 News Archive        

2015 News Archive        

2014 News Archive        

2013 News Archive        

2012 News Archive        

2011 News Archive        

2010 News Archive        

2009 News Archive        

2008 News Archive        

2007 News Archive        

2006 News Archive        

2005 News Archive        

2004 News Archive        

2003 News Archive        

2002 News Archive        

Exiles lose in a game of two halves

Kent Exiles 12-50 Sussex Thunder

Available media:
View Photo Gallery 


The Kent Exiles hosted the Sussex Thunder on Sunday in their final home game of the 2012 season, and if soccer can be a game of two halves, then American Football just proved it can be as well.

Going into the game as heavy underdogs, and with a depleted squad as 5 games in 5 weeks had taken it's toll with several injuries, the Exiles dug in early on and matched the Thunder stride for stride. After an early Thunder score the Exiles thought they had drawn level when Zac Ritchie threw to Sam Johnson, who was playing his first game of the season after returning from Northumbria University, and the wideout broke a tackle and outpaced the Thunder defence, but a penalty wiped the score off the board. 

The Exiles didn't let them set them back though, as Ritchie found Colin Chislett and then Johnson again to move them within touching distance of the endzone, and then Jon Miller caught the touchdown.

Once again the Thunder pulled ahead on their next drive, but the Exiles came straight back once again. Ben Abbott continued his good form finding some running room, and Ritchie found the reliable Chislett and Miller before Wesley Eversley jumped inbetween 3 defenders to pull in the touchdown and bring the scores level again.

One more Thunder score as the half ran out gave them the lead, but at halftime it was anyone's game.

The second half was a different story though, as the Thunder defence started to get on top and force turnovers which resulted in some quick scoring without reply from the Exiles, and before long the game was out of reach.

After the game Head Coach Tony Bainbridge commented, "it was another tough game against a table topping team that we held our own in for a half. We need to get over our knocks and bruises quickly now, and use our two week break to prepare for our final two games of the season, and make sure we end the year on a high".

The Exiles next play on the 8th July away against the Essex Spartans, full details can be found on



©2004-2019 Kent Exiles American Football Club.