View Archived News...

2016 News Archive        

2015 News Archive        

2014 News Archive        

2013 News Archive        

2012 News Archive        

2011 News Archive        

2010 News Archive        

2009 News Archive        

2008 News Archive        

2007 News Archive        

2006 News Archive        

2005 News Archive        

2004 News Archive        

2003 News Archive        

2002 News Archive        

Exiles secure first silverware of 2013

Kent Exiles 20-12 Essex Spartans

Available media:
View Photo Gallery 


The Kent Exiles kicked off their 2013 campaign with a scrappy 20-12 victory over old foes the Essex Spartans, and in doing so won the inaugural 'Battle for the Bridge' trophy.

The Exiles started fast, when on their second possession Alex Clifford caught 30 yard pass from Zac Ritchie down to the Spartans 20 yard line, and then a great 'toe tap' catch in the endzone saw Clifford score the first touchdown and give the Exiles a 6-0 lead.

Then after the Exiles defense forced a quick end to the Spartans next series, the Exiles scored once again. Ryan Critcher sprinted for a first down, before Ritchie found Colin Chislett on the sideline for a 44 yard touchdown. Ben Abbott kicked the point after, and the Exiles led early 13-0.

The second period saw the Exiles offence falter, but the Defence pick it up even more, with successive Spartans series ending with an interception from Ryan Wilson, and sacks from Lewis Whitcombe and Jack Lewis, and the halftime whistle blew with the Exiles still leading 13-0.

The third quarter saw the Spartans come out strongest, although it took a 15yd facemask penalty on a sack from Remi Daniels to kick start the drive, Spartans quarterback Steve Watson found Norris Owusu for a big first down catch down inside the Exiles 20 yard line, but on the next play was intercepted again by Rob Welling to turn the ball over.

The rest of the quarter was a defensive battle again, Spartans drives this time snuffed out by sacks from Welling and Jon Dwyer, giving the Exiles the ball at the start of the final period.

The Exiles pounded the ball with running back Abbott finding holes behind good play from the offensive line, after three successive first downs, Abbott took the ball in from 14 yards out, and then converted his own touchdown to give the Exiles a 20-0 lead.

The Spartans finally got on the board on their next drive, another Exiles penalty keeping the drive alive, before Owusu broke free after nearly fumbling the ball for a 40 yard score, bringing the score to 20-6.

After forcing a quick punt the Spartans took over again, and quickly drove into Exiles territory. The Exiles thought they had put the game away when Welling stripped the ball carrier and returned the fumble all the way, but the referees had blown the play dead as forward progress had been stopped. The Spartans then kept the ball on the ground and scored on a one yard run from Lee Millar, and with under 2 minutes left it was 20-12.

The Exiles recovered the onside kick attempt, and despite giving the ball back to the Spartans with 20 seconds left time expired before they could get close to scoring.

After the game Exiles Head Coach Tony Bainbridge accepted the 'Battle for the Bridge' trophy, but had some strong words for his players, "We came out fast and had the game under control, but then we got sloppy giving away penalties far too much that could have changed the game. We need to execute better, and learn to focus on our jobs and the man in front of us, if we want to caryy on winning".

The Exiles now face the Colchester Gladiators next weekend, full details can be found on the clubs website



©2004-2019 Kent Exiles American Football Club.