View Archived News...

2016 News Archive        

2015 News Archive        

2014 News Archive        

2013 News Archive        

2012 News Archive        

2011 News Archive        

2010 News Archive        

2009 News Archive        

2008 News Archive        

2007 News Archive        

2006 News Archive        

2005 News Archive        

2004 News Archive        

2003 News Archive        

2002 News Archive        

Dominant display gets Exiles back on track!

Bury Saints 6 - 36 Kent Exiles


The Exiles travelled to league new boys the Bury Saints following their disappointing loss to the Hornets, and dominated proceedings to get back on track in the playoff hunt.

The Exiles started well, taking the opening kickoff and driving downfield and scoring on a Zac Ritchie Pass to Anthony Clarke, unfortunately a penalty ruled the score out though, and then Ritchie was intercepted by Deanda Brooks.

Brooks then continued his great first quarter by opening the scoring, breaking several Exiles tackles on the way to a great touchdown, and a 6-0 lead.

The Exiles then decided to wake up and start playing again in the second quarter, Ritchie capping a Drive by hitting Alex Poynter from 3 yards out for the score, and tying the game. The Exiles never looked back from that moment.

Clarke then set up the Exiles second score with a 38 yard catch to the 4 yard line, from where Jason Jacobson finished the job. Ash Faiers kicked the extra point, and the exiles had the lead.

The Exiles defence was now dominating the Saints with Robert Mitchell, Neil Cooper and Jon Gadbury eating up the Saints running game and forcing several punts. This bought up the Exiles next score, as whilst punting from their own goal line Kerry Gray burst through to block the ball which then trickled out of the end zone for an Exiles safety, and 2 points.

A James Bertram-Smith catch set up Daniel Exell with a 2 yard touchdown next, Faiers again on the point after, before more good defence with a Chris Mitchell fumble recovery stopped another Saints drive.

Leading comfortable as the fourth quarter began the Exiles bought on Jaden Ellis to see the game out, and he had an immediate impact, scoring his first Exiles touchdown on a 3 yard sneak, Faiers was again good with the kick and it was 29-6.

Gareth Rees snared an interception, and Jay Henderson broke up a pass to snuff out the next Saints drive, and then it was over to Ellis again as with less than 2 minutes remaining he found Sam Johnson over the middle for a 15 yard Touchdown. The Faiers point after gave the final score of 36-6.

Following the game Exiles Head Coach Tony Bainbridge said "it was great to see both of our lines step it up today, and after the fist quarter we executed well across the team. Special Teams came up big as well, Dean Leander and Sam Johnson especially with some big hits, and Nick Mayer had a great punt return. We need to do this more when we execute in all 3 aspects of the game we're hard to beat".

The Exiles now have a critical home game against the Watford Cheetahs next week which may well decide where the divisional title goes, full details on the club website


©2004-2019 Kent Exiles American Football Club.